Thursday, November 09, 2006


Fomer PM suffers mild heart attack

Friday November 10, 20069( THESTAR)

KUALA LUMPUR: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is recovering at the National Heart Institute (IJN) here after suffering a mild heart attack early yesterday following a Hari Raya open house party the previous night.

The former prime minister’s condition is stable and doctors are keeping him under observation for a week.

His son Datuk Mukhriz, who spent the morning with Dr Mahathir at the hospital, said his father was doing fine and had a light breakfast of two pieces of toast, a half-boiled egg and a hot drink.

Just hours before complaining of chest pains, Dr Mahathir, who turned 81 on July 10, had spent Wednesday evening entertaining friends of his children at his Mines Resort City home.

The occasion was a Raya open house jointly hosted by his eldest son Datuk Mirzan, his activist daughter Datuk Paduka Marina and Mukhriz, an Umno Youth leader, for their friends and associates.

“He enjoyed himself chatting with the guests, including Datuk Zam (Information Minister Datuk Zainuddin Maidin),” Mukhriz said yesterday.

Dr Mahathir was at the gathering till 11pm although he had just returned from New Zealand at about 5pm.

“He’s okay, but he had had a punishing schedule in the past four days,” said Mukhriz.

PARTY MOOD: (From left) Zainuddin, Dr Mahathir, Meriyam Majid and former Merbok MP Datuk Rosnah Majid at the Hari Raya open house held at Dr Mahathir’s house on Wednesday night.
Dr Mahathir had been in Jeddah on Nov 4 before flying home for a day to attend two functions, including the Red Ribbon Charity Gala. He then flew off to New Zealand on Nov 6.

A statement from IJN said Dr Mahathir suffered a mild myocardial infarct and was warded at the Coronary Care Unit.

Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi visited Dr Mahathir at 2.30pm yesterday.

The Prime Minister was received by IJN chief executive officer Mohd Radzif Mohd Yunus and cardiologist Dr Sanjiv Joshi, one of three doctors attending to Dr Mahathir, and ushered to the CCU on the first floor.

Abdullah, who spent about 15 minutes at the hospital, did not speak to some 30 journalists who had gathered at the IJN lobby since late morning, but gestured to them that Dr Mahathir was asleep.

Another of Dr Mahathir’s sons, Datuk Mokhzani, told the newsmen that his father had been given a mild sedative and was resting when the Prime Minister arrived.

“Pak Lah did not go into the Coronary Care Unit to visit my parents, who were sleeping. He was concerned about my father’s well-being and told the doctors to make sure everything possible is done. He just spoke to me and the doctors,” he said.

No comments: