Sunday, December 17, 2006

MASSIVE WHALE FOUND BUT THIS TIME DEAD

Bryde's whale found dead off Kota Kinabalu
News Update by The Star News Desk

KOTA KINABALU: The 24-metre-long Bryde’s whale that was freed after being stranded in shallow waters off Pulau Gaya near here three days ago was found dead at almost the same spot where it was trapped early Sunday.
Pulau Gaya villagers said they noticed the whale, known to Kadazandusuns as Luulumbo, at about 2.30am and when at dawn, they spotted the whale lying on its side with the waters around the carcass turning dark red as blood began flowing out from the carcass.
As word spread of the mammal’s demise, dozens of islanders, local folk and tourists took boats to have a look at and take pictures of the carcass and by about 8am it was already emitting a foul odour.
State Tourism, Culture and Environment Assistant Minister Datuk Karim Bujang said no decision has been made as to what is to be done with the carcass.
“It will either be towed to sea for it to decompose or we will have to find out whether the Sabah Museum Department is keen to preserve its skeletal remains,” he said.


picture : Rescued whale found dead off Pulau Gaya

17 Dec 2006NST pix by Edmund Samunting
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/NewsBreak/20061217140514/Article/index_html

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Massive Whale in Sabah

Stranded whale saved
By MUGUNTAN VANAR
newsdesk@thestar.com.my

KOTA KINABALU: There were loud cheers and claps when divers and a tugboat finally towed a 24m-long Bryde's whale from shallow waters off Pulau Gaya near here last night.
The bruised and bleeding whale, called Luulumbo by the Kadazans, was towed out of the shallow waters to the South China Sea under the watchful eyes of concerned nature lovers, including divers from Scubazoo, who worked tirelessly to rescue the whale which had been trapped in the shallow waters since Thursday.
Relating how the whale was freed, Scubazoo operations director Simon Enderby, who was among those helping to tie the mammal to the tugboat, said: “It was an elating moment.”

Enderby, a senior diving photographer, said they first attempted to tie ropes on the whale's front pectoral fins and tow it out with tugboat Bina Satu at around 5pm.
“The ropes slipped off after we managed to move the whale some 100m,” said Enderby.
He said a group of divers – Marcus Ruff, Dr Nicholas Pilcher, one identified only as Moss and himselfB4�െപോല്‍ നടക്കേണം
ചിരിക്കണം, ചരിക്കേണം
ഉണ്ണി കേഴുന്നു

Thursday, November 09, 2006

THE NEXT AGUNG


Sultan Mizan is next King
Saturday November 4, 2006
(WWWTHESTAR.COM.MY)


KUALA LUMPUR: The Sultan of Terengganu, Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah, has been elected the 13th Yang di-Pertuan Agong for a five-year term effective Dec 13.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said in a statement that the appointment of Sultan Mizan as the successor of the present King, Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Syed Putra Jamalullail, was announced by the Conference of Rulers at its special meeting at Istana Negara yesterday.


The 208th meeting also agreed to proclaim the Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah Sultan Badlishah, as the Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong, also for a five-year term, with effect from Dec 13.

Abdullah said the Conference of Rulers, chaired by the Yang di-Pertuan Besar Negri Sembilan, was attended by all the Rulers except for the Sultan of Pahang and Sultan of Johor.

Sultan Mizan, who was born on Jan 22, 1962 at Istana Al-Muktafi, Kuala Terengganu, is currently the Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

He was first appointed Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong on April 26, 1999 when Sultan of Selangor Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah was the 11th King.

The second time he was appointed Yang di-Pertuan Agong was on Dec 12, 2001, following the death of Sultan Salahuddin on Nov 21 that year.

As for the Sultan of Kedah, he was the fifth King, from Jan 12, 1970 until Sept 20, 1975.

Since Independence, all the Malay Rulers from the nine states in the peninsula have had the opportunity to be elected as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, with Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negri Sembilan Tuanku Abdul Rahman Tuanku Muhammad being elected the first from Aug 3, 1957 until April 1, 1960.

He was followed by Sultan of Selangor Tuanku Hishamuddin Alam Shah Al-Haj, who died several hours before being installed as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong on Sept 1, 1960.

The third King was the Raja of Perlis Tuanku Syed Putra Syed Hassan Jamalullail, the father of the present Yang di-Pertuan Agong.

They were followed by Sultan of Terengganu Tuanku Ismail Nasiruddin Shah (the grandfather of Sultan Mizan), the Sultan of Kedah, Sultan of Kelantan Tuanku Yahya Petra Sultan Ibrahim (the father of the present Sultan), and Sultan of Pahang Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Sultan Abu Bakar.

After them came Sultan of Johor Tuanku Mahmood Iskandar Al-Haj, followed by the Sultan of Perak Sultan Azlan Muhibuddin Shah, Yang di-Pertuan Besar Negri Sembilan Tuanku Jaafar Tuanku Abdul Rahman and Sultan Salahuddin (the father of the present Sultan of Selangor).

Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail, who was elected the 12th Yang di-Pertuan Agong on Dec 13, 2001 will end his term on Dec 12.– Bernama

GET WELL SOON TUN!


Fomer PM suffers mild heart attack

Friday November 10, 20069( THESTAR)

KUALA LUMPUR: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is recovering at the National Heart Institute (IJN) here after suffering a mild heart attack early yesterday following a Hari Raya open house party the previous night.

The former prime minister’s condition is stable and doctors are keeping him under observation for a week.

His son Datuk Mukhriz, who spent the morning with Dr Mahathir at the hospital, said his father was doing fine and had a light breakfast of two pieces of toast, a half-boiled egg and a hot drink.

Just hours before complaining of chest pains, Dr Mahathir, who turned 81 on July 10, had spent Wednesday evening entertaining friends of his children at his Mines Resort City home.

The occasion was a Raya open house jointly hosted by his eldest son Datuk Mirzan, his activist daughter Datuk Paduka Marina and Mukhriz, an Umno Youth leader, for their friends and associates.

“He enjoyed himself chatting with the guests, including Datuk Zam (Information Minister Datuk Zainuddin Maidin),” Mukhriz said yesterday.

Dr Mahathir was at the gathering till 11pm although he had just returned from New Zealand at about 5pm.

“He’s okay, but he had had a punishing schedule in the past four days,” said Mukhriz.

PARTY MOOD: (From left) Zainuddin, Dr Mahathir, Meriyam Majid and former Merbok MP Datuk Rosnah Majid at the Hari Raya open house held at Dr Mahathir’s house on Wednesday night.
Dr Mahathir had been in Jeddah on Nov 4 before flying home for a day to attend two functions, including the Red Ribbon Charity Gala. He then flew off to New Zealand on Nov 6.

A statement from IJN said Dr Mahathir suffered a mild myocardial infarct and was warded at the Coronary Care Unit.

Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi visited Dr Mahathir at 2.30pm yesterday.

The Prime Minister was received by IJN chief executive officer Mohd Radzif Mohd Yunus and cardiologist Dr Sanjiv Joshi, one of three doctors attending to Dr Mahathir, and ushered to the CCU on the first floor.

Abdullah, who spent about 15 minutes at the hospital, did not speak to some 30 journalists who had gathered at the IJN lobby since late morning, but gestured to them that Dr Mahathir was asleep.

Another of Dr Mahathir’s sons, Datuk Mokhzani, told the newsmen that his father had been given a mild sedative and was resting when the Prime Minister arrived.

“Pak Lah did not go into the Coronary Care Unit to visit my parents, who were sleeping. He was concerned about my father’s well-being and told the doctors to make sure everything possible is done. He just spoke to me and the doctors,” he said.

Pak Lah Compared to the other predecessors

Ungku Aziz: Why Pak Lah is different from others

(www.thestar.com.my)



Ungku Aziz: Why Pak Lah is different from others

KUALA LUMPUR: Three factors distinguish Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi from his four illustrious predecessors, said Royal Professor Ungku Aziz.

He said Abdullah was the first Prime Minister to declare an unambiguous priority for the dejected rural people, as compared with the others who relegated this to a lesser position in favour of industrial development.

Ungku Aziz said the second factor was that, in line with his noble aim, Abdullah was making a game attempt to redress the imbalance of rural poverty.

“Thirdly, unlike some people who melepas batuk di tangga (are superficial), Abdullah has sincerely and boldly come out in favour of genuine national unity embracing all races,” he said in his speech at the launch of the Royal Professor Ungku Aziz Chair at Universiti Malaya.

Abdullah was a former student of the university more than 40 years ago.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

MAKE HER WISH COMES TRUE


Her one wish is for a heart
02 Nov 2006 ( New Strait Times)

KUALA LUMPUR: Tee Hui Yi, 13, managed a small smile despite having in her mouth a tube attached to a ventilator. Sitting on a wheelchair with a teddy bear by her right side, Tee answered reporters’ questions at the intensive care unit of the National Heart Institute (IJN) yesterday.She did so writing with a marker pen on a slate.She wrote her name in Chinese. She wrote "Kentucky Fried Chicken" when asked for her favourite food. She wrote Supaya dapat jantung cepat (to get a new heart fast) to a question on what her wishes are. A round heavy device could be seen sneaking out of her pale yellow pyjamas top connecting to a huge power unit. This device implanted outside her abdomen and connected to the left side of her heart will buy the teenager time until she receives a new heart. Known as Thoratec Paracorporeal Ventricular Assist Device (PVAD), the device is designed to improve cardiac output.It was Tee’s 33rd day at the ICU since being implanted on Sept 29 with the 419-gramme PVAD also known commonly as a mechanical heart assist device. Tee, who is from Batu Pahat, is the country’s second mechanical heart assist recipient after Mohamed Fikri Nor Azmi, 16, received it last July. Since being on the ventilator after the surgery, Tee has been itching to talk, said the doctors and nurses who formed the team that performed the five-hour surgery. "She has been asking us to take out the tube," said Dr Mohamed Ezani Md Taib, IJN’s consultant cardiothoracic surgeon and director of the mechanical heart programme.Just a few days ago, she asked Dr Mohamed Ezani to buy her Kentucky Fried Chicken."She is actually quite a chatterbox," said her mother Dina Bato Sambu who has not heard her youngest child’s voice since the surgery.Her outgoing personality belies her weak heart condition.In the past three weeks she had a total of eight cardiac arrests with the last one occurring during Hari Raya. Her mechanical heart device endured these episodes and Tee was successfully resuscitated. Tee was diagnosed with end-stage heart failure since she was two years old after suffering from a viral infection.Since then, she became a regular patient at Batu Pahat Hospital and IJN.Her condition deteriorated and she was on the heart transplant list in May this year.She has not been to school for two years.On Sept 13, she was re-admitted to IJN. While undergoing treatment, she developed a potential fatal heart rhythm. After this, IJN decided to implant Tee with the device.She developed blood function disorder after the surgery due to her blood thinning drugs and needed to be rested on the ventilator. Tee was bound to face more complications with the device implanted outside her heart, said Dr Mohamed Ezani."Since it is outside, Tee is more prone to infection. Bathing will also be difficult for her," he said.The device was implanted outside instead of inside as Tee’s small framed body was too small to be fitted with it.It is not known exactly when she will be moved out of the ICU ward. Doctors are monitoring her condition for the best time to remove the ventilator."It is good to remove the ventilator because she needs to learn to breathe on her own," he said.Tee’s rehabilitation process will probably start in a month, doctors estimate.This was unlikely to happen for quite awhile as Tee was still frail at the moment, IJN said.As her home is in Batu Pahat, her family has to sort out the problem of providing her easy access to post-hospital medical treatment in the event she is allowed ‘home leave’."We hope she gets a heart soon so that they do not have to deal with these issues," said Dr Mohamed Ezani.

A Tale Of An Arrogant Datuk



Port Klang rep may face action
Thursday October 12, 2006 ( THE STAR )

SHAH ALAM: Port Klang assemblyman Datuk Zakaria Md Deros will face action if he is found to have built his mansion illegally.
Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Khir Toyo, in issuing the warning, said no one was above the law.

CONTROVERSIAL HOME: Zakaria’s soon-to-be-completed mansion dwarfs the other houses in Kampung Idaman.The Mentri Besar said he was awaiting a report from Klang Municipal Council (MPK) president Abdul Bakir Zin on the controversy over the construction of Zakaria’s four-storey bungalow in Kampung Idaman.
“I telephoned him and he will be preparing the report in a day or two. After that we will see,” Dr Mohd Khir told reporters after chairing the weekly state exco meeting here yesterday.
Zakaria, who is also a Klang municipal councillor, was alleged to have built his mansion early this year without submitting the required building plans to the MPK.
The matter came to light when Sungai Pinang assemblyman Teng Chang Khim raised the matter with the council.
When informed of Abdul Bakir’s revelation that Zakaria had refused to submit the plans despite being told several times, the mentri besar said he would only comment after reading the report.
“Sometimes we do not know whether it is true or not ... if we have something in black and white, it would be easy for us,” Dr Mohd Khir said.
Zakaria, a two-term assemblyman, could not be reached for comment. It was learnt that he had left for Mecca to perform the umrah and would return on Oct 18.

Here goes the religious police

Couple in khalwat raid may drop second home plan
By SIRA HABIBU
Saturday October 28, 2006

LANGKAWI: Retired American policeman Randal Barnhart, who was subjected to a 2am raid by religious enforcement officers, is reconsidering his plan to make Malaysia his second home.
“After that unpleasant episode two weeks ago, I do not feel like making Malaysia my second home. It is a pity because both my wife and I really love Langkawi,” he said.
On Oct 12, Barnhart, 62, and his wife Carole, 61, were in their rented condominium in Kuah when enforcement officers continuously knocked on their door at 2am, accusing them of committing khalwat (close proximity).
He said the officers demanded to see his marriage certificate, although he had told them that they were Christians and should not be subjected to Islamic law.

HAPPIER TIMES: Barnhart and his wife Carole posing for a picture during an outing. They felt humiliated by the raid by religious enforcement officers in Langkawi recently.“We find it difficult to forget the unpleasant episode. My wife was so terrified by the incident that she fears sleeping in that condominium,” he added.
Banhart said the officers were rude and insisted on “seeing the woman” when he opened the door.
“My wife had to show herself despite only having a sarong on at that time. We felt humiliated for being treated this way,” he said.
He said he had to send his wife back to the United States on the next available flight because she feared people might return to the condominium to terrify her in the middle of the night.
She flew home on Wednesday.
“I want the religious department to apologise to me and my wife in writing,” he added.
“I also want the department to compensate the RM4,315 I had to pay for the return ticket so that my wife could go home.”
Banhart said he would be sailing to Thailand once his yacht was repaired.
State Religious and Humanity Development Committee chairman Professor Datuk Wira Dr Othman Ishak said he would investigate the matter.
“I was not aware of this case. I will ask the Religious Department head. We will get feedback from the vice-prevention squad in Langkawi before making comments,” he said.
Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid said he would check with the state Religious Department to find out what really happened.
“I was not informed about this case. I will find out what really happened before making any comment,” he said.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

ALL FOR THE SAKE OF RATINGS, GLAMOUR AND MONEY

The ratings are in: Siti 6.3 million, Mawi 4.7 million

KUALA LUMPUR: Newly-weds Siti Nurhaliza and Datuk Khalid Mohamad Jiwa got more viewers gawking at them on TV3 on Monday night than the Mawi-Ina sob fest concurrently played out on RTM1.

A survey by AGB Nielsen Media Research found that 6.307 million viewers watched the pop icon’s wedding, while 4.72 million viewers tuned in to Santai to hear what Mawi and ex-fiancee Ina had to say about their failed relationship.

Santai, which was also screened on Astro Ria, also brought the former couple together for a brief meeting, the first since their engagement was called off two months ago.

The number of viewers who switched back and forth between channels was 3.768 million.


BIGGER VIEWERSHIP: The telecast of Siti’s wedding overshadowed the screening of Mawi’s meeting with Ina.

“If not for Santai, the viewership of Siti Nurhaliza’s wedding could have been higher,” AGB Nielsen Media Research Malaysia managing director Danyal Abdul Malik said yesterday.

Both programmes were aired at about the same time. Santai on RTM1 and Astro Ria started at 8.45pm, while what was touted as the wedding of the year was telecast at 9pm on TV3.

The wedding was held at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre while Mawi and Ina were interviewed in separate studios before a live audience at Auditorium Perbandaran Putrajaya.

Danyal said the live broadcast of Siti Nurhaliza’s akad nikah on Aug 21 garnered 2.858 million viewers.
ADAPTED FROM WWW.THESTAR.COM.MY